Pardon our dust during our re-vamp, and while you're here be sure to stop by the Faceless Fancy Page! The Etsy Shop and the Faceless Fancies Facebook are now live!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Nick reviews Dust & Decay

Dust & Decay
by Jonathan Maberry
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: August 30th 2011
Edition: Hardcover 519 pages (purchased)

What the inside flap says...


      Benny Imura and Nix Riley can't forget the jet they saw fly over the zombie-infest mountains of the Rot and Ruin. The jet meant leaving, something that Nix and Benny were going to do. Now--after months of rigorous training with Tom, Benny's zombie-hunter brother--Benny, Nix, Lilah the Lost Girl, and Chong are ready to leave their home forever and search for a better future.
       But from the start, everything goes wrong. They are pursued by the living dead, wild animals, and insane murderers, and are faced with the horrors of a rebuilt Gameland, where teenagers are forced to fight for their lives in zombie pits. Worst of all... could the evil Charlie Pink-eye still be alive? 
         

Likes:
It's certainly very tough to beat out a book like Rot & Ruin. It was an amazing zombie story and in my eyes, it could not be touched by anyone else in the YA Zombie genre. So, when I picked up Dust & Decay, the 2nd book in the series, I was expecting a lot more of the same great story that Jonathan Maberry created in the first book. Man, was I wrong. This book was even better. I will go as far as to say Jonathan Maberry is the Bob Ross of the YA zombie genre. Yes, he has painted that darn good of a zombie apocalypse. The characters are just as great if not better than they were in Rot & Ruin. Benny has done a lot of growing up and he is a bit more enjoyable to read about and not as "snot-nosed" whiny. One of my favorite parts about this book is that they include even more of the "Bounty Hunters" that exist in the Rot & Ruin. Good and bad, it's nice to see more of them around this time. Another great part about this one is that there is a lot more of the silly "Children of Lazarus" religion going on and it makes up for some quite interesting theories. Oh yeah and the ending. Just WOW.

Dislikes:
I could sit here for 30 mins again and try to think of something negative to say about this book but I just can't. Oh wait! I know! It ended. There is my dislike.

Who would I recommend this to:
Everyone. Seriously, despite it being a zombie book, it is just that good. It's more than just any zombie book. There are a lot of good things going on in this book that opens your eyes a bit about humanity and how evil people can be. It's not one of those "Zombie killing" books that are so everywhere and run-of-the-mill. This book is truly unique and is just a wonderful book to read.



        

4 comments:

  1. My husband came home from work yesterday with a copy of this! So I am looking forward to digging in..excited to hear this book is even better...the first book was excellent so I understand how hard it would be for the sequel to exceed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopped and I think I am commenting in the wrong post, oops. I am not much into zombies... But I think the visual in the book blurb is interesting. I am into Biting COld by Chloe Neill and I am giving away a copy of her new book at my blog. http://fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love zombie books, so I think this one is totally my cup of tea :D And how cool that the second book is even better than the first! Most series really have that flaw: the first book is really good, the second bad and after that, it becomes a bit better. I love it when an author can keep a high standard :)

    ReplyDelete