Pardon our dust during our re-vamp, and while you're here be sure to stop by the Faceless Fancy Page! The Etsy Shop and the Faceless Fancies Facebook are now live!

Monday, July 9, 2012

Recommend a ... (1)







Recommend A 

Recommend a ... is a weekly event hosted by Shanyn over at Chick Loves Lit! Anyone interested in participating simply recommends a book that follows the prompt provided for the week. 
 
This week is Recommend a ... Book Published in 2010.


Jenny recommends ....

The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1) The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade 
Published June 2010

What the inside flap says...
The Ghost 
   It's not my fault that I was born with it all -Good looks, silky blond hair, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing. My life isn't perfect, though, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks -could there be a worse fate? As it turns out yes -I'm starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. To top it off, the only person who can see or hear me is Will Killian, TOTAL loser boy, and he refuses to help!
   I need to get control of my afterlife, and fast, before I'm dead AND gone for Good. If I can get Will to talk to me, I might have a chance. But that means trusting him with my secrets. . .  and I don't trust anyone, living or dead.
The Goth
   My mom basically thinks I'm crazy. My shrink wants to lock me up. Basically, my life sucks. And that was before the homecoming queen started haunting me. Alona Dare was a pain when she was alive; dead, she's even worse.
   Yeah, I can see, hear, and touch ghosts. With just a few weeks of school left, all I want to do is graduate and get out of here, find some place with less spiritual interference. But with a dead cheerleader who won't leave me alone, and a violent new ghost who wants me dead . . . I'm screwed.
   Alona and I might be able to help each other . . . if we can stop hating each other long enough to try.
   Yeah, right.

   I absolutely love, LOVE this book. I have no idea how many times I've read it. Let's just say a lot! The plot is great and the characters are even better. I love a good ghost story, almost as much as I love a story that involves a cheerleader with possible mixed emotions for a goth. Put the two together and I'm sold! There are three books total in the series, the third released just this past May. Each is just as wonderful as the previous. And aren't the covers lovely?

The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1) Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2) Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)


Nick recommends . . .

Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1)
Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
Published September 2010

What the back says ...
  
 In the zombie-infested world Benny has grown up in, teenagers must work once they turn fifteen -or they'll lose their food rations. Benny isn't interested in taking on the family business, but he reluctantly agrees to train as a zombie killer with his boring big brother, Tom. He expects a dull job, whacking zombies for cash. What he discovers is a vocation that will teach him what it really means to be human.
   As his worldview is challenged again and again by the lessons he learns from Tom, Benny is forced to confront another horrifyingly reality: Sometimes the most terrible monsters are human.
   Critically acclaimed author Jonathan Maberry crafts a terrifying future vision of a zombie apocalypse, brought to life through the rich emotional struggles of a teenager trying to find his place in a tumultuous new world.

Ok, so Nick is currently asleep thanks to an early shift at work so that leaves me to do the typing. 
   So this may be cheating because Nick hasn't actually finished this book. In fact, he just started reading it yesterday and only picked it up because it is his GoodReads reading groups discussion pick this month. He's so not into zombie books. Not a good way to start a recommendation huh? But hear me out.
   This book has barely left Nick's hands since he started it. After chapter one he started looking for the sequels and it's all he's talked about. He even passed up playing Battlefield 3 with the guys just so he could get in more reading.The plot is super interesting and you get invested in the characters from the beginning. It's not your typical Zombie story, but in a good way.

What's your recommendation this week? Let us know in the comments below. We love getting ideas for new books to add to our ever growing TBR pile.

8 comments:

  1. lol...I recommended Ghost and the Goth too! Loved that book. I've got Rot & Ruin on my To Buy list and look forward to reading it as soon as I can. Thanks for the recommendations! :)

    Wendy @ Escape Into Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first book sounds hilarious and like a really weird television series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a lot of fun to read. =)

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to check out the Stacey Kade series. I couldn't get into Rot and Ruin, but I loved Carrie Ryan's zombie series-The Forest of Hands and Teeth, The Dead-Tossed Waves, and The Dark and Hollow Places. Here are my picks http://wp.me/pzUn5-14V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Carrie Ryan's Zombie books too! I didn't want to read them at first,I'm not huge into zombies either, but her writing had me completely hooked from the beginning. Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  4. Both of these are AMAZING books! I especially loved Rot & Ruin! Such a great zombie book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had my eye on The Ghost and the Goth for a while! Maybe this is the push I need to pick it up already!:) I agree with Nick, I also recommended Rot and Ruin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven´t read The Ghost and the Goth, this books sounds good. I just added it to my TBR list.
    thanks for sharing.

    Here is My Recommend A..

    ReplyDelete